Main Forum

This upgrae might actually happen... let's prepare

6 replies
EmpathyHeals AdminOwner
Owner
Votes:
+1,943
Hi Empathy players who are still here,

I sense that an upgade might soon (finally) be upon us. I found out that we don't actually have to have wd or anybody convert Per World Inventories to Multiverse Inventories, and wd has confirmed this. Turns out it's Multiverse that's no longer supported, while Per World Inventories, which we're already using, continues to be supported. We also had frostalf recently join the server. He's a knowledgeable and mature dev who has offered to help us when/if wd isn't available. With as busy as wd has been, frostalf's help is timely and what may help us get more things that require a dev's help done. Everyone make sure to welcome frostalf and thank him for helping us. Finally, wd says he might have some time this weekend, and given that there is no inventories plugin conversion necessary, he may upgrade us shortly. It's no guarantee that wd will do the upgrade this weekend, but with frostalf on the scene now I hope the upgrade can happen sooner than later.

So, to prepare for the upgrade, I don't know that there are any specific things every player should do besides just have a heads up so you know.

But I do want to finalize what to do with Hyperion, because like I've said for a long time now, I want to get rid of Factions. We need to decide on a new gamemode, or whether to just add a new Survival world that shares inventory with Survival and Atlas.

If we don't just have another Survival world that shares inventory with the other two, as well as shares all plugins, we need to decide what plugins to allow and which to turn off on that world.

For example, we could make a purely role playing/questing world where /tpa, /warp, and other plugins are turned off, and the only way to travel over long distances is to run or use quests that teleport you. The problem with this kind of world is that I would like "hard work" to be more rewarded, however, because economy is shared across all worlds, some people who don't play exclusively on this kind of world will have a much easier time in some situations.

Alternatively, we could make the new world a new Educational world, and maybe move EMA there and use the world for more educational content and questing. The educational content and quests don't seem to be causing any problems and may actually be contributing beneficially being implemented across worlds, however, and it would be a pain to move EMA especially if it doesn't cause Atlas any problems. Also, I know that at least one new BELCHES division in the works plans to add a school on Survival, so educational content can and probably should stay implemented across worlds. I wouldn't have to move any educational quests either.

So, please suggest some things we could do with the space that will be opened by on the host by removing Hyperion.

We typically increase world boundaries on existing Survival worlds when there is a major upgrade that adds new content only available in chunks generated under that upgrade. But the Survival worlds are already quite large and could just make a new, smaller world that has the new content and just increase its size in subsequent upgrades.

Still, while it would be easier to just make another Survival world and share all plugins across survival worlds, part of me still hopes we can come up with something different about this world, since we have the opportunity to introduce it. But what this new feature/gammemode should be, I don't know, and this is where your more active participation on this matter than previously is strongly solicited.

Do keep in mind the limitations that may be imposed due to the shared economy, and for whatever you propose, list any other benefits/limitations that you know of.

Thanks!!
Emp
2869752.jpg
Posted Feb 8, 18 · OP · Last edited Feb 8, 18
List
Undo
Votes:
+13
Untagged users
A few suggestions for a new game i would say would be possible? OP Prison? Or maybe Skygrid, I used to play those a lot, Also maybe you could do a Hardcore Survival. Where possibly maybe only Warps and 1 sethome, Nothing else, I think that would be a good idea,
Posted Feb 8, 18
List
Undo
EmpathyHeals AdminOwner
Owner
Votes:
+1,943
A few suggestions for a new game i would say would be possible? OP Prison? Or maybe Skygrid, I used to play those a lot, Also maybe you could do a Hardcore Survival. Where possibly maybe only Warps and 1 sethome, Nothing else, I think that would be a good idea,

Can you say more about OP Prison and Skygrid? I know nothing about them. Why do you think these would be played by more players than Factions was? Are these plugins compatible with the others on our server? Which of our existing plugins would need to be turned off in this world, if any? Are these proposed plugins well supported and likely to continue to be supported by deveopers?

Also, I am willing to consider Hardcore Survival, however, I am worried about two things when it comes to that.

First, I have seen other servers introduce a world that was harder to play on than others and for the most part people got frustrated and lazy and quickly abandoned it. I think if the whole server is like that it tends to work better, but if there are easier options on the same server I have noticed that people tend to flock to those easier areas.

Second, I worry that the economy being shared is something that wil have a negative impact on a place like this. The very thing about a harder world is working harder for everything. Getting to where you don't die all the time can take a lot of effort and resources. Seeing some players be able to just swoop in and immediately make themselves a cushy and safe place without much effort but by simply being able to afford buying what they need with funds earned elsewhere, just because they also play on other maps, can be a deterrant for some folks who play only on that world. Personally I think players should be able to handle it, after all, if they only play on the harder world they should expect things to be harder, but realistically I sense, and have noticed, that people do care whether others on the same map can have it easier.

One way to handle this would be to disable shops altogether, maybe, but this would not prevent some players from being able to buy more items from other players simply by using cash earned on easier maps. Although without shops players who have items may not be so intersted in selling, but this can only be thwarted so much without shops, as a market of buying and selling between players on a map will likely still develop.

Please discuss.
2869752.jpg
Posted Feb 8, 18 · OP · Last edited Feb 8, 18
Votes:
+13
Untagged users
I understand that. Maybe Hardcore survival can be a project in the upcoming future, When theres a bit of a bigger fan base,

For OP prison. Its where you start off with a OP pickaxe and you can mine in specific areas and with all the stuff you mine you sell to rank up to the next level, The higher rank the better stuff you can mine. the better things you can buy and the bigger you are on that server. Most servers use the ranks as just a-z such as you start off as rank a then to b and so on. But when i owned my server i had this and it was pretty popular, I named mine different to keep it unique, Im not the best at explaining so i hope this makes sence,

Sky grid is Kinda? Like Skyblock. But its a world with blocks all around in the are. Such as iron Diamond wood dirt, Every single block. And when you spawn on just 1 block you got to mine it and use it in some way, And you can build over to the next block and it just never ends. Heres a link to what it is (Better explained)

https://phanaticmc.com/threads/how-to-play-and-what-is-skygrid.8212/

And a picture of what the map looks like
http://www.minecraftxl.com/p/files/skygrid-map4.jpg
Posted Feb 8, 18
List
Undo
Votes:
+35
Untagged users
we already have skyblock so we cant use skygrid
Posted Feb 8, 18
List
Undo
Votes:
+13
Untagged users
Shadow Its not exactly Skyblock though. Its different in its own way . The only thing resembling it is thats there both in the sky
Posted Feb 8, 18
List
Undo
Votes:
+35
Untagged users
it would require a skyblock pluigin which we are already using so we cant do skygrid.
Posted Feb 8, 18
List
Undo
Top Posters
3917 Posts
779 Posts
733 Posts
Caanite Advocate
724 Posts
Queelium Advocate
538 Posts
Omega1291 Advocate