Dealing with trolls

4 replies
EmpathyHeals AdminOwner
Owner
Votes:
+2,152
Level 10
LEVEL 10
We had an incident with one of the worst kind of trolls tonight - you know the kind, the "I'm not a troll," and "worked for servers with thousands of players," type. Yup, the kind who ended up insulting our dev (that's you wd), and then descending into making racist remarks and then derogatory remarks against women and LGBT individuals. And then, of course, also the type to log in character after character with different IP's and to say all kinds of crap through Discord. All while saying he was here to help! Go figure!

So, I would just like to remind everyone that it does not matter
a) who these trolls say they are
b) whether they self-identify with, or deny, being a troll (duh)
, and
c) what kind of crap they actually say besides the derogatory remarks
if ANY individual makes racist or demeaning statements against individuals from neutral or minority groups, they are TROLLS.

They could claim to be, and even actually BE, the pope, if they make such remarks they are TROLLS!

And if you shall encounter such trolls, do NOT engage them. Not on the issue of their trollingness nor on their seeming "legitimate" comments. And if I ever do not practice what I preach right away myself, please, do as I say, and not as I do. I will, eventually, get to just trying to get rid of them, however, by that time I notice sometimes people are well into conversing with the trolls and it makes extricating them even all that more difficult.

I also changed the settings in the Discord config to sync up with the server, however, it doesn't seem to do what I set it to. So, if wd or Seansbar could look into it, that would be very much appreciated.

Thank you!
Emp
2869752.jpg
Posted Jun 10, 18 · OP · Last edited Jun 10, 18
List
Undo
Matriarch PFDonatorADVOCATED
Advocated
Votes:
+115
Level 5
LEVEL 5
so i get to /kick their buts over and over again ? or do you want me to jail and mute?
not sure if i am aloud to /mute tho
Posted Jun 12, 18
List
Undo
EmpathyHeals AdminOwner
Owner
Votes:
+2,152
Level 10
LEVEL 10
wrote:
so i get to /kick their buts over and over again ? or do you want me to jail and mute?
not sure if i am aloud to /mute tho

On the server you can jail, and mute, and wait for me to ban. Feel free to /kick too but most often they don't stay gone, so that's where jails come in. Feel free to make your own jail too, you can send them to whichever one you want if we have more than one. On Discord, it should be harder for them to be a problem with the safety guards Seansbar has implemented after our last incident. I did, however, just give Advocates on Discord the right to Ban. This is because a) it doesn't mean they are banned from the server - I do want to retain that right, but if they are banned from Discord for a bad reason I can just un-ban them there, and b) because there doesn't seem to be a mute on discord I can give Advocates to match in-game perms. If there is and I missed it, it shall be switched.

Thanks for asking!
Emp
2869752.jpg
Posted Jun 12, 18 · OP
List
Undo
SilverSniper512 PFDonatorADVOCATED
Advocated
Votes:
+459
Level 7
LEVEL 7
Normally jailing and muting is the best option, in my opinion. I personally give a verbal warning first though. Kicking normally just makes them angry at/go after you more directly. But for some it can be amusing when a troll gets mad, it just annoys me more lol. I just deal with them the quickest way possible normally, with a few to zero warnings, depending on what they did.
Posted Jun 13, 18
List
Undo
Omega1291 ADVOCATED
Advocated
Votes:
+917
Level 9
LEVEL 9
On the discord side, if for some reason they do get past Sean's changes, I'm on most of the time in some shape of for, so just let me know and I'll see what I can do on my end on the Discord side.
"Pwangg?" Trees don't go "Pwangg--" Llamas don't go "Pwangg--" Nothing found in nature goes "Pwangg", which means -- we're officially hip deep in the smelly stuff.
Posted Jul 3, 18
List
Undo
Top Posters
4085 Posts
779 Posts
wd40bomber7 PFGuardian
735 Posts
Caanite Advocate
724 Posts
Queelium Advocate
544 Posts